Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Wife Chimes In

“Faith makes things possible, not easy.” I bought a plaque with this saying on it awhile back, which got me a good eye-rolling from the hubby (not the saying, but because I bought ANOTHER item for our house). Little did he know just how meaningful this plaque would become to us…

Errick and I met in Los Angeles in 2004 where we worked at a fitness club together. Started out as friends that turned into something more. That friendship has proven to be such a key in our relationship currently. We have to make each other laugh, lean on each other for comfort, and just sit with one another for long periods of time. I love that we don’t have to say a word all day to each other. Just his presence can rock my world. Errick and I have grown together in so many ways over the years, and one area specifically is in our faith. Many people and factors have brought us to the point we are today, the point of recently growing from baby Christians to toddlers. We have leaps and bounds left to grow, heaping loads left to learn, and an enormous amount of works left to witness. But one thing is very certain about this experience so far… God has a plan… and it’s so good. {Proverbs 19:21 – You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.} God’s timing can occasionally be confusing, but tests of your faith can be incredible, truly incredible. Allowing God to take on your worries, frustrations, burdens, concerns, fears can be really tough, but I’ve felt very little worry, less frustration than expected, not much burden, only a few concerns, and hardly any fear. {Philippians 4:6-7 – Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.} I keep asking myself why I’m not freaking out more, but the answer is simple. God. I have God.

Everyone keeps telling me how strong I am, how inspirational I am, what a great wife I am… Wouldn’t you do it, though? Do everything you can for your spouse and child? I tell people that it’s his job to deal with the pain, endure the meds, suffer fake heart attacks, etc. It’s my job to do the rest. Find the docs, make the appointments, fill the scripts, take care of Hudson, update friends & family. Who has the tougher job? Seriously. And I came home from the hospital after the first round of “heart episodes” and told my mom, “I honestly think I could take on more if God needed me to.” Then bam, cork in the leg burst… hematoma. Sometimes it might be best to keep those comments to myself. Sorry, babe, I may have caused that one.

I wanted to take this opportunity as you all wait patiently for Errick’s next blog entry to thank each and every one of you for every single thought, prayer, kind word, offer, nice gesture. The outpour of support has been overwhelming and I know what it feels like to want to help, but be helpless. Please know that just being here with us as we travel down this path is enough. It’s more than enough. I would also like to thank my husband. Thank you for being an even better version of yourself. Good ol’ Trudes has provided us some serious laughter. Trudy in the Booty. Could there be a better name? Thank you for opening up this very personal part of your life.

Faith is what’s allowing us to get through this, what’s allowing us to hope, dream, and make “positive goals” (i.e. a trip to Florida before surgery!)… I have faith in many things: my family, my friends, my marriage, but best of all God. As mentioned in the beginning, faith makes things possible, but it certainly does not make things easy. I love you, sweet husband. We all love you. Most importantly, God loves you.

-Laurie

8 comments:

  1. I love this! You all are such a sweet family, and I'm so glad to keep up with what's going on. I know I tell you this a lot, but just know that we pray for you all everyday! I have people praying for you at our church here in Texas too! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You are a great wife, mother, and friend..it's really strange through things that happen in our lives..how it changes us, and makes us better as a person.. I think as we go through the certain hardships in life..it's like through even the worst experiences there are always silver linings which come out of nowhere...like all the love and support, etc...or talking with people that you never would have thought that would be there for you..Love u Laurie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Errick and Laurie, this is your nurse Lindsey from Sunday. I just wanted to let you know that I feel I was assigned to you for a reason. by the end of my shift I left thinking, wow what a great day back to work to have met such amazing people. I havent been able to stop thinking about you both. I will be following along and keeping you in my prayers. I hope you made it home safely and are feeling well enough to spend some quality time with your family. Take care and I will talk to you soon. Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, this is the most beautiful testimony of God's love I have ever read. Not only are you articulate with the words you chose and how they transition, but you speak with such raw truth and honesty that it moves me to the core. God's words that you have included are tried and true and have given you so much peace, as they have given me in different situations I have faced. Thank you for sharing God in a very tangible way with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie,
    Thank you for sharing. I feel like I know you just a little bit now! I know who Errick is by name/sight only as we went to the same high school. I will be praying for you all as you are on this journey. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love it if you could message me with your address. You can find me on FB or just email me at nicevillegirl@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laurie and Errick, Great to know that your dependence is on Our Lord and not self, Joe and I have had to lean on the Lord for some major things in our lives and have felt His great grace as we have been through the trial. He only gives His grace when we are in need because if we were to have it at our disposal we would use it up when not needed. So glad that your in His Word and are relying on Him for your strength. We were given this by someone and I'm passing it on to you:
    In time of trouble pray:
    First- He brought me here, it is by His will I am in this situation; in that thought will I rest.
    Next: He will keep me in His love and give me grace in this trial to behave as His child.
    Then: He will make the trial a blessing, teaching the lessons He wants me to learn and working in me the grace He intends for me.
    Last: In His good time He can bring me out again; how and when He knows.
    So I pray: I am here
    by Gods appointment
    in God's keeping
    under God's training
    for God's time.
    We as a family are praying for every detail for your whole family, Blessings to you Carole DeGennaro and family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speechless except to say I love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurie,

    So glad you two are taking such good care of each other. Lots of love and prayers coming your way from me and Tirza here in LA. Look forward to hearing how you and Errick defeat little miss trudy. Sounds like she needs a good kick in the rear! Hope you can make a trip to LA sometime in the future. We would love to see you both.

    Myers

    ReplyDelete